Now I know that a lot of you write reviews of stuff but I get the impression that that's more of a literary criticism thing, which is exactly what I don't want. I don't want to critically engage with my reading at the moment. I want it to be fun and relaxing and absorbing - not a big thing. That's kind of the distinction I'm trying to make in the title of this post. What I want is to get recommendations on what to read, not to get involved in the deep levels of a text or where it fits into the web of genre past, present and yet to come.
This would be my checklist for what I want from a recommendation:
1) Focus of the book: e.g. a political thriller in space, hard sf ala Iain M Banks, traditional quest fantasy, love story with incidental SF. This can include a bit about the story but minimal spoilers please!
2) Commitment required: e.g. huge and part 1 of a trilogy, long but fast paced, bit of a slog, short and sweet.
3) Tone: e.g funny, serious, quirky, irreverent.
4) Comparison, if possible, to something fairly mainstream (i.e. that I might have read)
5) Recommendation itself to be short and pithy.
Preferably, also available in handy LJ syndication form as well!
And that's pretty much all I want to know. I don't need to have any of it justified, I just want to know where the reviewer thinks on those points. So, where can I find that? Link me to some good examples please. (BTW, if I'm wrong in my impression of the writing you lot are doing, tell me - it's only my impression and an ill informed one probably)
This post was a lot more eloquent when I wrote it in my head you know. That's the trouble with LJ - there's no brain interface yet.